Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The New York Giants

I am an enormous professional football fan.  I was born and raised a New York Giants fan, specifically.  My family used to have season tickets to the Giants for sixteen years, I have been to two Superbowls, and my family has a Giants themed room in my house.  It has Giants helmet bordered wallpaper, a blue carpet, red leather couch, and more Giants memorabilia that any person could ever need.  Oddly enough, nobody watches the Giants games in that room.  We all pile into our living room dressed from head to toe in our Giants clothes (except for my brother, Brodie, who has been a New England Patriots fan since he was five) and watch the Giants play every weekend.  Like I said, I have been to two Giants Superbowls.  I think any fan of any sport needs to go to the biggest game of the year at least once in their lifetime.  There is truly nothing more exhilarating than seeing your team win a championship game.  I was lucky enough to see my team win both Superbowls I attended.  My parents took my sister, Liz, and I to Superbowl XXV when the Giants played the Buffalo Bills in Tampa Bay, Florida.  I was only seven so I hardly remember a thing about that entire experience.  In 2007, however, when the Giants played the Patriots, I remember as if it were yesterday.  The Patriots had been undefeated all season so everyone knew they were going to make it to the big game.  My brother kept begging my parents to take him.  Only when the Giants were going also, did my parents consider.  Originally, they were only going to take my brother since Liz and I had already been lucky enough to experience such a thing already.  The tickets were too expensive.  The flights across the country to Arizona were too expensive.  My parents decided against it.  Only until the Friday night before the game did they change their mind.  The ticket prices went down so much that they could not pass up this opportunity.  The weekend was such a whirlwind, but the most amazing time of my life.  No one thought the Giants had a chance of winning, of beating an undefeated team.  The Patriots and Tom Brady were unstoppable.  Yet, Eli was in a whole new element that day.  It was the most glorifying thing I have ever witnessed.  Seeing the Giants beat all the odds was remarkable.  I will never ever forget that day.  The day the New Giants made football history.
My mom, sister Liz, and I after the Giants won Superbowl XLII

Vocabulary-
enormous-adjective-exceeding the common size, extent, etc.; huge
professional-adjective-undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain
specifically-adjective-specified, precise, or particular
memorabilia-noun-mementos; souvenirs
exhilarating-verb-to enliven; invigorate; stimulate
whirlwind-adjective-as in speed or forceelement-
element-noun-a natural habitat, sphere of activity, environment
glorifying-verb-to cause to be or treat as being more splendid, excellent, etc., than would normally be remarkable-adjective-notably or conspicuously unusual; extraordinary
Exercise-I wrote about one of my favorite things to do-watch the New York Giants play football.  Write about your favorite sport, team, or activity.  What do you like most about it?  What kinds of feelings do you have when you watch or actually take part in this activity?
Grammar Point-Descriptive Writing Use
By describing the situation rather than simply stating a few facts, you can begin to visualize the circumstances much better. This leaves a little less to the imagination and by doing so, leads your readers closer towards your actual experience versus letting them jump to their own conclusions and possibly not getting the picture you're trying to paint. An action that only took a second in real time will seem to take three minutes by breaking down the feelings, smells, and visuals of that act. And by slowing it down and really describing every minute detail, your readers will begin to put themselves in your shoes.

1 comment:

  1. Two superbowls????? Thats so awesome! It must have been an amazing experience, especially because your team (Giants) won both of the superbowls you attended.
    I am a jets fan though.

    ReplyDelete