Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow

Snow is one of my least favorite things!  There is nothing worse than looking out my window first thing in the morning and seeing snow falling from the sky. I always love the very first snow fall of the season though.  It looks so pretty covering the street, lawns, and houses.  It's the shoveling, the brushing off of cars, and driving in it that irritates me.  Take today for instance: shoveling today was an extremely unpleasant task.  It was extremely cold and the snow kept hitting my face every millisecond.  It wasn't even sunny out but I had to wear my sunglasses just to keep the snow out of my eyes.  I must have looked ridiculous!!  I also always feel badly for my dogs.  They are little so when it snows an enormous amount, they cannot even walk in it, which makes taking them for their numerous walks throughout the day less than enjoyable.  These are the types of days that I long to move to Myrtle Beach.  The temperature here is snowy and 32 degrees, while Myrtle Beach is 52.  That sounds so wonderful right now.  Being able to go outside in a light jacket, not having to defrost my car, or worry that I'm going to skid on ice on my way to work later.  What a marvelous thought.  I have at least another two years before this can be possible though, so for now, it is only a dream.



Vocabulary-
for instance-noun phrase-suggestion, request
extremely-adjective-to the extreme
unpleasant-adjective-not pleasing, disagreeable
millisecond-noun-one thousandth of a second
ridiculous-adjective-deserving or inspiring ridicule; absurd, or silly
enormous-adjective-very great in size, extent, number, or degree
numerous-adjective-amounting to a large number; many.
throughout-preposition-in, to, through, or during every part of; all through
enjoyable-adjective-affording satisfaction or pleasure
wonderful-adjective- admirable; excellent
marvelous-adjective-of the highest or best kind or quality; first-rate
possible-adjective-capable of happening, existing, or being true without contradicting proven facts, laws, or circumstances

Exercise-
I wrote about my feelings toward snow. Write about your favorite type of weather.  What sort of activities do you like to partake in, if any?  What is it about that type of weather that makes you happy?  What is your least favorite type of weather?  Why?

Grammar Point-Adjective use in writing
When writing about a topic of interest, make sure to use adjectives when discussing nouns.  It gives the reader the ability to actually picture a distinct image. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about snow. There is something so beautiful about the first snowfall of the year, and I love the sound outside when it is snowing. It's so quiet and peaceful. However, I passionately dislike the cold, shoveling and defrosting the car. I would much rather be inside watching it snow through the window, in front of a fireplace with a nice glass of wine. I loved the image of you shoveling with sunglasses on! It was so funny and I could totally relate! I really enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete