Saturday, February 26, 2011

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

The weather prediction for tomorrow is less than appealing.  We have had such sunny and nice days lately.  Take today for example: it's only in the 30s but it's such a beautiful day!  I have my windows in my room open and the cool air is so soothing.  Knowing that it may snow tomorrow is not exactly putting a smile on my face.  As you know from my previous blog, snow and I do not get along.  Spring and I are close acquaintances but summer is my best friend!  I adore everything about it.  I've always wanted a pool at my house but my parents never gave in.  Luckily, my boyfriend has one so I spend most of my summer at his house in New Jersey.  There is nothing more relaxing then reading a book while floating on a raft in those peaceful waters.  We spend our mornings eating breakfast and drinking coffee on his patio, right before we go for a long walk.  These little things are what makes me know I can move to South Carolina.  Knowing that I will be able to spend my days by the pool and my nights on the front porch we hope to have, makes me extremely happy.  I cannot believe how quickly I gave in to moving to Myrtle Beach.  When Ken first brought it to my attention, I was completely against a move that huge.  I remember the first time he took me there.  He could not understand how I would not want to live somewhere so beautiful.  He works in sales, so I told him to sell me Myrtle Beach, and he did just that.  Ever since my first visit, I have been obsessed with the idea of living there and having it be the place we start our own family one day.  I imagine living in a condo right by the beach and having romantic nights just the two of us by the water.  I imagine bringing our kids to the million and one miniature golf courses they have.  I imagine my kids going on dates at Broadway at the Beach or Barefoot Landing.  There is so much to do there!  There are numerous restaurants, mini golf courses, and other attractions.  The nightlife is great too!  This move cannot happen until I finish school though, so for now, I have to settle on our trip in June.  By settle, I mean, count down the days until it's time to make that long 10 hour drive to paradise.


One of the many miniature golf courses in Myrtle Beach
Vocabulary-
appealing-adjective-evoking or attracting interest, desire, curiosity, sympathy, or the like; attractive
previous-adjective-coming or occurring before something else; prior
acquaintance-noun-a person known to one, but usually not a close friend
floating-adjective-being buoyed up on water or other liquid
peaceful-adjective-characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder
extremely-adverb-in an extreme degree; exceedingly
against-preposition-in opposition to; contrary to; adverse or hostile to
understand-verb-to perceive the meaning of; grasp the idea of; comprehend
somewhere-adverb-in or at some place not specified, determined, or known
imagine-verb-to form a metal image of
romantic-adjective-displaying or expressing love or strong affection
miniature-noun-a representation or image of something on a small or reduced scale
paradise-noun-a place of extreme beauty, delight, or happiness

Exercise-
I wrote about one of my favorite places to travel to.  Write a paragraph of 5-6 sentences about a place you like to visit.  What makes it so special?  Why do you love it there?  Be sure to use plenty of adjectives and adverbs in your writing. 
Grammar Point-Verb Usage
I used many verbs in my paragraph.  Verbs are action words.  Verbs can also be used to express other meanings such as existence, mental conditions, and processes.  In a sentence, the verb normally follows the subject and precedes everything else.  Depending on the type of verb chosen and the type of sentence written may also affect the location.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lauren! That's really exciting that you're planning to move to SC! Sometimes I wonder why I plan on staying through the cold winters on Long Island when I could be somewhere warm all year! I've always wanted to take a trip to Myrtle Beach, so if I ever get a chance to I will have to ask you about all the best places to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, I really enjoyed reading your blog about moving to South Carolina! It sounds like a such a beautiful state! I agree with you; I feel like the spring and summer months could not come any sooner! It was a really nice day today, so I took advantage of it and went out for a walk with my brother! I am so happy that the days are getting longer and the warmer weather is approaching! :)

    ReplyDelete