Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shopping

I have a serious shopping problem.  If I need to buy presents for someone else, I rarely ever leave the store without something for myself, as well.  I know it is an absolutely ridiculous obsession for someone who only waitresses three nights a week, is in school, and is planning on moving in with her boyfriend as soon as finacially possible.  There is just something about going into my favorite store, Ann Taylor Loft, and seeing the perfect outfit.  Of course, I cannot just settle on getting a shirt or a skirt, I must get both!  The worst thing I could have ever done is open an account with that store and become their facebook friend.  I am constantly getting emails, news feeds, and coupons for every sale imaginable.  I even went as far as to buy a dress (that I certainly did not need) on their website that was final sale.  I wasn't even sure if the dress was going to fit or not!  That is a problem!  I have so many items of clothing that I have bought because I HAD to have them that still have the tags on them because I would never actually wear them anywhere.  I bought the ugliest dress a couple years ago.  It is short and black with purple and gold lines on it with a humongous orange butterfly down the middle.  It is absolutely hideous!  I have never worn it out of embarrassment.  I also have the tinyest pink skirt that I would never be able to pull off that has been hanging in my closet for at least the past five years.  I have tried to shop more sensibly lately because my boyfriend has grown tired of my antics.  I will want to try things on in a store and walk around and take my time.  He has no patience for that, so I'll grab the first item I like and buy it on the spot.  I have even tried the whole "let me see if I keep thinking about it for a week" theory.  If I cannot stop thinking about it, I go back to buy it, hoping it is still there.  Sometimes that plan backfires though because I worry that it will no longer be there, so I buy it anyway.  I realized the only way I can still feed my shopping desires, while not breaking the bank, is to bargain shop.  I now frequent Kohl's, Target, and Payless.  I get the cutest things and surprisingly, they last longer than things from Express and The Gap.  While my boyfriend is somewhat impressed with my will power, he accepts that I visit the Loft website on a weekly basis, perhaps buying an item or two that I cannot resist.

                                                                    My newest love
Vocabulary-
ridiculous-adjective-causing or worthy of ridicule or derision; absurd; laughable
financially-adverb-of or relating to finance or finances
constantly-adverb-regularly recurrent; continual; persistent
humongous-adjective-slang for extraordinarily large
hideous-adjective-horrible or frightful to the senses; repulsive; very ugly
sensibly-adverb-having, using, or showing good sense or sound judgment
antics-noun-a fantastic, or ludicrous gesture, act, or posture
surprisingly-adverb-causing surprise, wonder, or astonishment

Exercise-
I wrote about one of my weaker qualities: my shopping addiction.  In a paragraph of 6-7 sentences, write about one of your faults or something that you would like to change / better about yourself.  Be sure to use adverbs to enhance the verbs you use in your assignment. 

Grammar Point-Adverb use in writing
Adverbs often tell when, where, why, or under what conditions something happens or happened.  Adverbs frequently end in -ly; however, many words and phrases not ending in -ly serve an adverbial function and an -ly ending is not a guarantee that a word is an adverb.  Be careful of these rules as you write.

3 comments:

  1. Lauren, I too love to shop. I must say as a teenager in High School, which was ages ago, I rarely shopped. I would buy clothes for school at the beginning of the year and then not shop again until summer clothes were out. I don't know what happened, but when I hit my 20's it was all about shopping. I guess I caught that shopping bug. I however, always found cheap stores to shop in and bought tons of the same dress, but in different patterns, because it was just too cute to pass by. Now, I am even older and I must say not only do I love clothes, I now have a fondness for shoes as well. I couldn't tell you how many black flats I have at home. I also hate when my favorite ones start getting old and worn. I want them to last forever. I will agree with you that Kohl's and Payless last longer than the expensive stuff. My favorite shoes that I bought this year are from Payless and up until we got all that snow and had to wear boots I was wearing them everyday. I had a pair in black and a pair in brown. Now, I really need to go through my closet and get rid of some old clothes and shoes. My problem is, if it is really cute, I am unable to part with it, even if it doesn't fit now, I have hopes that someday it will fit again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love The Loft! I especially love it because they have a great petite section. I feel like so many companies forget about us small and short people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dress.....I too am a abid shopper. Although my weakness is on line shopping. All you do is click, is so hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete