Thursday, April 14, 2011

Soap Opera Cancellations

Today I found out that one of my favorite soap operas, One Life To Live, has been cancelled.  The last showing is January of 2012.  That is too soon!!  I could not believe it when I read the post on Facebook.  I have been watching it since I was little and I do not want to see it go!  It makes me sad to see all of these soap operas being shut down.  I just never thought the ABC soaps would go.  All My Children is cancelled as well, but I stopped watching that a couple years ago because the story lines grew tiresomeThankfully, General Hospital is safe.  For now, at least.  I cannot even process how many people are going to be out of work because of this.  The good thing about daytime is that soaps that are still in existence normally write in new characters to make room for laid off actors.  With all the soaps ending, there will not be enough room for everyone unfortunately.  It's always sad when a long-lasting show comes to an end.  I just was not expecting it!  As disappointed as I am, I cannot wait to see how the show will come to a close. 

All My Children and One Life to Live Cancelled

Vocabulary
soap operas-noun-television series depicting the interconnected lives of many characters often in a sentimental, melodramatic way
cancelled-verb-to decide or announce that a planned event will not take place; call off
tiresome-adjective-causing or liable to cause a person to tire; wearisome
thankfully-adjective-feeling or expressing gratitude; appreciative
existence-noun-the state or fact of existing; being
unfortunately-adjective-lamentable; sad
expecting-verb-to look forward to; regard as likely to happen; anticipate the occurrence or the coming of
disappointed-adjective-depressed or discouraged by the failure of one's hopes or expectations

Exercise-I wrote about something that saddens me.  Write about something that has made you sad, that you were not expecting, or that you wish did not happen.  Include at least 4 reasons why you feel this way.

Grammar Point-Writing in the Present Tense
The simple present tense in English is used to describe an action that is regular, true or normal.
We use the present tense:
1. For repeated or regular actions in the present time period.
I take the train to the office.
The train to Berlin leaves every hour.
John sleeps eight hours every night during the week.

2. For facts.
The President of The USA lives in The White House.
A dog has four legs.
We come from Switzerland.

3. For habits.
I get up early every day.
Carol brushes her teeth twice a day.
They travel to their country house every weekend.

4. For things that are always / generally true.
It rains a lot in winter.
The Queen of England lives in Buckingham Palace.
They speak English at work.

2 comments:

  1. That sucks, it's been around for so long too. I can't say I'm a soap opera fan, but i could imagine that i would be upset if my favorite show got canceled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watch One Life and GH also, but rumor has it that ABC wants to cancel GH next year. I Have been watch One Life since it started, and GH since my grandma watched it in the 60s when I was little and Audrey Hardy (Elizabeth's grandmother) was having an affair. I can't imagine TV without these shows.

    ReplyDelete