Friday, April 22, 2011

Waiting until the last minute

My boyfriend has THE worst habit.  He puts everything off to the last possible moment.  Every time we plan a weekend trip, he books the room the night before we planned to leave.  Every time we have a wedding to go to he books the hotel room no more than a week before.  It drives me insane!  Last summer we had a wedding out east in Greenport.  The condos reserved for the wedding were located right on the water and filled up very quickly.  He and another roommate never booked the room, so the week before they were scrambling to find suitable accommodations.  Days before the wedding, rooms opened up, and we were able to stay where everyone else was.  After this situation happened, I decided I would be in charge of all hotel bookings from now on.  Next Saturday, we have another wedding and I called to book the room weeks ago.  Both reserved hotels were fully booked.  Not being too familiar with that area of New Jersey, I had to let him back in charge.  He kept ignoring the situation, saying everything would work itself out.  That is extremely frustrating!  Things just do not work themselves out!  Lo and behold, he called me yesterday saying that the reserved hotel had an open room and we were all set.  I couldn't even find any words to say to him.  I got so annoyed that yet again, things worked themselves out.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm glad we booked the room.  I am glad we get to stay over with all of his roommates.  Just once, though, just once, I would love for things to not work out.  I would love for him to see that he needs to plan things in advance.  Until that one time things don't work out, we will be finalizing all our plans within days of every vacation. 

This is a great example of what happens when he waits until the last minute to book our trips...we stayed at this hotel

Vocabulary
habit-noun-a recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition
insane-adjective- Characteristic of or associated with persons afflicted with insanity
scrambling-verb-To struggle or contend frantically in order to get something
suitable-adjective-appropriate; proper; fit
accommodations-noun-Room and board; lodgings
reserved-adjective-set aside for use by a particular person or people
frustrating-verb-To cause feelings of discouragement or bafflement in
finalizing-verb-To put into final form; complete or conclude

Exercise-
I wrote about something that annoys me greatly.  Write about something that bothers or frustrates you.  Be sure to include plenty of verbs and adjectives when doing so.

Grammar Point- -ing forms of verbs
-ing forms are used:
  • to add information to what is expressed in certain verbs and verb + object combinations
  • when we want to use a verb after a preposition
  • as subjects and complements
  • to list activities
  • to add information to what is expressed in a clause
  • in continuous tenses

3 comments:

  1. I am the same way! I need to plan things ahead of time otherwise I would be very anxious about everything working out nicely. I hope that you and your boyfriend have a nice time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! i am the queen of lists and schedules> if i dont know where im going, when and how I kiind of panic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually am a person who does almost everything at the last minute... however, I can not plan a trip at the last minute. I would be completely stressed. Trips I plan way ahead of time, but other things in life I do only when they need to get done. And it always works out!!!!

    ReplyDelete