Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Television

I love watching television.  I have at least 3 shows a night give or take and I watch two soap opers on a daily basis.  I am aware that I have much more important things to be doing with my time and my life.  There has just always been something about television that I have loved.  I have always been like this.  I will watch just about anything also.  My parents tell me when I was little and we would travel to Florida, I would watch hours and hours of The Flinstones in Spanish.  I don't even speak Spanish.  Some shows that I watch now are good--they are entertaining to normal people and have great actors on them, such as Modern Family, Criminal Minds, Entourage, and Californication.  Some are awful, such as, One Tree Hill, Real World Las Vegas, and Jersey Shore.  I never got into the whole Jersey Shore hype when it first came out.  Now, I am addicted to the ridiculousness that ensues every week.  It keeps me entertained for the entire hour.  One Tree Hill, however, is awful.  It is not entertaining at all.  My best friend and I spend the entire hour wondering why we still watch it.  Is it because it's been on since around college and we cannot stop out of loyalty?  Is it because we one day hope it will become good again?  We have no idea.  We just know that we cannot stop.  Then I have my teeny bopper shows, Secret Life of an American Teenager and Pretty Little Liars--which I love.  I am extremely devoted to them and do not care how ridiculous people think I am for refusing to go out Monday nights just so I can watch them.  The only thing I like about my boyfriend working until 9 o'clock at night is that it gives me time to watch my shows in peace, without ridicule.  My ultimate weakness though, are soap opers, particularly One Life to Live and General Hospital ( Prof. Nenchin's favorite!).  I have been watching them since middle school and I adore them.  The story lines are redundant and last months at a time, the actors can change at the drop of a time, and they age characters faster than you can boil water, but I have always loved them.  I know some people look at soap opera actors as nothing but pretty people that cannot act and that is true on some soap operas--Passions was the worst.  One Life to Live and General Hospital have phenomenal actors though.  I am constantly immersed in the story lines because of that.  The consistant cliff-hanger endings always keep me coming back for more!  And they're on 5 days a week.  What could be bad about that?!?!?  Like I said, I know I have much better things to be doing with my time, like writing papers, reading for class, and studying.  This is why I thank the inventors of the DVR every single day.


Vocubulary-
entertaining-adjective- interesting and pleasurable; amusing
hype-noun-extravagant or excessive promotion
ridiculousness-noun-the quality of being laughable or comical
ensues-verb-to happen as a consequence; result
ridicule-noun-the act of making someone or something the object of scornful laughter by joking, mocking, etc
redundant-adjective-more than enough; overabundant; excess;
immersed-verb-to absorb deeply; engross

Exercise-I wrote about one of my favorite things to do: watch television.  Write about one of your favorite hobbies.  Describe what makes you love it as much as you do.  Be sure to use plenty of adjectives and adverbs to describe your feelings towards this hobby or love. 

Grammar Point-Adjective and adverb usage in writing.
Adjectives are words that modify nouns or pronouns by defining, describing, limiting, or qualifying those nouns or pronouns.  Adverbs are words that modify verbs, adjectives, or other adverbs and that express such ideas as time, place, manner, cause, and degree.  Use adjectives as subject complements with linking verbs; use adverbs with action verbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment